Sunday, May 26, 2013

Fasting

I love that moment when I'm fasting when my stomach decides to rise up and proclaim:

"There is nothing in me!  You are ridiculously hungry!!  WHY are you doing this to me?!?!"

I truly do love that moment.  It's a reminder to tune in to my reason for abstaining from food and drink for 24 hours in the first place and pow-wow with the Big Guy Upstairs (I feel the need to capitalize the spelling of this colloquialism, otherwise one might think I was living in an apartment or something and there was an actual big guy who lived upstairs - you never know).

Typically the way things work for me with Heavenly Father is that I make a decision, act on it, and then He will either do nothing (approval by silence) or in essence slap me upside the head and say, "I don't think so" (non-approval).  But in the current case of making a rather big decision, I have already made my decision but haven't received a slap upside the head yet.  However, I have been experiencing many doubt and even some very compelling reasons to contradict my current decision.  Therefore, I am tapping into the wonderful resource of fasting for this specific purpose and hopefully either a confirmation or denial.  My parents are fasting with me and I will gladly take any help I can get.  Strength in numbers, right?  My purpose of this post, however, was not to be cryptic or raise suspicion, but rather to share that I really do love feeling hungry in a fast.  Medical benefits aside, it's the penny in the shoe, the bow on the finger, the gentle or not-so-gentle reminder that I am cleaning out this vessel to make me perhaps a little more ready to receive whatever answer I need to hear - or not hear.

No comments: