Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Letters to Juliet



I had every intention doing things different this time around. I legitimately RSVP’d to txtMovieClub.com for the prescreening of Letters to Juliet and received two passes for tonight. So Jessica Wesenberg and I headed up to Seattle after work to go stand in line with the rest of the masses. No press-ing it this time. We first went to the front to tell the every so nice lady (I am being extremely generous in my description) that we were there for the screening. To which she responded that we could get at the back of the line. I asked her about the press and she said they weren’t invited to this one. Phew. Glad my press-pass was tucked away. ;) Well, the line was gianormous and we had a bit to wait and the drive was rather lengthy and I drink a lot of water… so they let us use the facilities. And to my normally never-present luck, they started letting people into the screening right when we got out. There was no monitoring, so Jessica and I mad our move and slipped into the movie theatre unnoticed. We got the best seats in the house (you know the ones I mean, in the front row of the stadium seating where you can put your feet up on the bar). I guess it was just meant to be. On to the review…


Photo by random lady at the Pacific Place AMC (Megan & Jessica at the Letters to Juliet Prescreening)

On the way to the movie, Jessica and I were discussing how many people including ourselves wanted to see the movie but how at the same time we felt as though the trailers left nothing of the story to be discovered. However, I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I loved this movie. And as I posted on my facebook status immediately following (because if it's not on facebook, it never happened)... "I approve. I very much approve. I would not oppose if this movie had a cameo in my life." There were plenty of things to be delighted and frustrated with, and the characters were fun to invest in. And sure, it may not be too terribly if at all realistic, but isn't that why we go to the movies? To suspend our disbelief and enjoy the unreality? I am a sucker for a good love story and, let's be honest, love in general. So allow me to reiterate two things that were said more than once in this movie: 1) if it was true then, why wouldn't it be true now and 2) love has no expiration date. Wise and very true words. So on a scale of 1 to 5 m&ms, give me all 5. But for the rest of you, it is a chick flick but an enjoyable and surprisingly somewhat relatable one at that.

Seen: 7 April 2010
Release Date: 14 May 2010

2 comments:

Whitney Worthen said...

YES! This is what I was hoping for! I love reading your reviews!

moi said...

oh. and there are no slithering reptiles in it. hey. i just realized we both have things about reptiles...