Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Death of the "Big" TV

My parents generously gave me their television when they left on their mission for Africa. Yes, the same tiny television that sat in our living room cabinetry at 1206 for the past several years. Sadly, the said Akai TV started dying prior to it ever entering my abode. Once it came to live with me, I would attempt to coax it to work by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Sometimes that would work, sometimes it would take several attempts and perfectly timing halfway plugging it in whilst pressing the power button on the set itself. Some of you may wonder, "Why would you even try to keep that piece going?" I think the answers come down to 1) the fact that I did not want to spend money on a new or used television and 2) the emotional attachment I had developed to this inanimate object via my parents - I even deemed the 28 incher as "big" which my friends (two in particular - you know who you are) would not let me live down, seemingly enjoying mocking me and the "big" tv. ;) Well, Thursday evening, September 29th, 2011, the "big" TV died. And with General Conference approaching this weekend I felt at a loss. I went as far as taking it apart only to find that several of the capacitors were swollen and some leaking. So I put it back together and decided that I needed to go get myself a new television. And even though I still don't have cable or satellite, I now am happily able to watch Conference thanks to my handy dandy VGA adapter for my 5 year old Mac (that's next on the list...). Hello 40" of beautiful screenage. Even if no one else does, I very much approve.

1 comment:

Papa and Grami Worthen said...

May it rest in pieces. We love and miss you! Dad and Mum