Thursday, February 4, 2010

Nuh-uh. Not. Cool.

My favorite ice cream is Chocolate Peanut-butter*. I'm not talking peanut-butter flavored ice cream with chocolate pieces in it, or vanilla ice cream with peanut-butter cups and a chocolate swirl in it... no. Good old-fashioned chocolate ice cream (the darker the better) with peanut-butter ribbons in it. I think my favorite CPB is Haagen Dazs, but in Washington you won't get much better than Tillamook. Now the thing about this ice cream is that I hardly ever find it. In fact, whenever I go by the C-Town by my apartment in Manhattan, I have a little deal with myself that if there is a little pint of CPB ice cream, I will get it. Otherwise, I am not the biggest ice cream fan. Sorry if that sounds like blaspheme, but there it is. On to the tragic event...

I was on my way to a friend's for a dinner and stopped by Summit Trading to pick up a couple of contributions when I was walking down the ice cream aisle and lo, and behold...


Photo M. Worthen

Ahhhh!!! (That's me singing like a choir of angels...) There it was! My ice cream exception. I was so thrilled. So I did the unthinkable and bought me a gallon. Well, I had an interesting evening and eventually returned home, quite tuckered out, so I put my gallon in the freezer. The next day was one of even more interesting happenings and so I thought to reward myself with a little bowl of ice cream. It was delightful. And I thought to myself, "At this rate, this will last me quite a few weeks and each day after dealing with crazies I can have a small respite. Fantastic!" Little did I know my plan was about to be foiled. A couple evenings later, just this past Tuesday in fact, I was having a dreadful day and about to head out to be pleasantly social when I went to the freezer to have a couple bites of my ice cream... but it was gone.

Now, our freezer is not big. It is small. There are only so many places a gallon can hide. So I begged the question to my mother, "Have you seen my ice cream?"

Silence.

"Pam, did you eat all of my ice cream?"

And then she laughed. More like cackled. I shut the freezer dumbfounded. I asked again. More laughter. "It was your father!" And then dad, "I don't think so!"

Me again, in very much a whimper, "You ate all of my ice cream? I barely had any."

I was suppressing my tears. Very embarrassed with my head hung low and I shuffled out of the room to go to the car when my mum calls out, "She's not crying, is she?" More laughter. Then me from the foyer, "Yes!!!" Then I left.

Not cool, Pam. Not. Cool.

No retaliation planned. Yet.

*Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip is second, with Rainbow Sherbet as a close third.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As a huge fan of ice cream, I hear your pain. I haven't had any in about 4 months, but if I was in your position, I would have cried as well. Revenge is so bitter sweet my friend. Keep it real girl. You know who loves you from the middle of the Pacific!

Troy said...

I have a very similar problem with my dad... I'll buy some of that ice cream (Tillamook CPB, and Dreyers Double Fudge Brownie are the only 2 kinds that I buy), and he'll help himself to it. Then to pay me back he'll go out and buy some stupid fruity ice cream! Marionberry Ice Cream can not replace my beloved Chocolate Peanut Butter! Then those stupid fruity ice creams stay in the freezer forever, I buy new CPB ice cream, and then that gets eaten again before anyone touches the stupid marionberry... The Injustice!!!

Sarah said...

Hahaha! I feel your pain. My brother is living with us right now, and he eats everything. I come home and food is just gone. Food that I bought specifically for me. I bought a box of Fiber One bars (6 bars), put it in the snack bin, came back a week later and they were all gone. I never got to eat one! Living with family is not like living with roommates. Everything is fair game. I have to hide things now.