Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chart Notes: Jane McBossy


A patient's ride walks in (without the patient) about 30 minutes before her appointment, comes right up to the desk and says, "Jane McBossy*, she has an appointment. She thinks her heart is bothering her. Do you have any aspirin?"

"I don't think so," I replied in a very nice manner. "But I'll go in the back and check, just in case." "Yes," she demanded. "Do that."

I go to the back, look all around, find ibuprofen, acetaminophen, hot cocoa, and various other drugs but no aspirin at all. When I return to the front...

"Well?"
"I looked everywhere and we do not have any. I am so sorry."
"Did you ask the nurse?"
"No, she's with a patient." (She lets out a sound of disgust. I hear our nurse coming down the hall.) "Oh wait, I think I hear her. Let me go see."
"I think a heart is more important than her patient."

Really? Really lady? You're gonna walk into my office and tell me to drop everything to find you some aspirin.

Chart notes: After being unsatisfied with my answer, I recommended her trying the pediatrics office next door or the family practice across the street for. When Jane came in for her appointment 10 minutes later, I asked if they found some aspirin. Yes they had, next door at the pedes office. The lady: "Hey Jane, how is your heart?" Jane: "Oh. Sooo much better."

Rx: Take a chill pill.

*The patient's real name has been changed. Clearly.

2 comments:

The Bellyakers... said...

Seriously? Did you make this one up? Meggie... be honest now....

moi said...

Nope. This is 100% fact. Except for the lady's name, that is. It's too good for me to make up.