Friday, February 12, 2010

Percy Jackson And The Olympians: The Lightning Thief


Oh Percy Jackson... Welcome to the big screen. Last night I made the trek up to Seattle yet again to sit in the fancy schmancy reserved seating at the Pacific Palace AMC for a prescreening of Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief. (The picture on the poster was quite possibly my favorite part of the movie. FYI.)





If you did not know it, this movie is based on the first book in the series Percy Jackson & the Olympians. I will simply say that if you are a fan of the book, a picky film goer, or simply have a hard time suspending your disbelief, you will be disappointed with the film. However, if you like a good kids' flick and don't mind cheesiness on the big screen, then Percy Jackson is the film for you!

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the movie. However, I absolutely loved the first book and had just a few minor expectations. Like not masticating the entire premise of the story!! I mean come on. Is that really too much to ask? I can look past changing the age of the main characters, or cutting back some of the scenes - shoot, changing them completely for that matter... But taking out major characters and changing more than one core concept of the entire plot-line? I worry for the success of this picture and the possibility of any future ones.

I think I may be getting harsher in my movie critiques...

Well, I have not yet finished the remainder of the books (there are 5 in the series), but I am planning on it. I just hope that they are able to do a second movie and do the book more justice than this one did.

So on a scale of 1 to 5 chocolate-chip cookies, I would probably give it around 2 if you've read the books, 3 1/2 if you haven't. But then again, it really just comes down to your expectations, right? I think I've said it before and I'll most likely say it again: expectations not met equals disappointment. Meh. I'll get over it. And I'll most likely end up eventually buying the movie. What can I say? I'm a sucker for mythology. And Percy Jackson.

No comments: